Wednesday, October 29, 2008

What Ever Happened To... Beat Street???

Hey guys,

So you guys know I love my readers, because you guys are some of the most devoted people on the face of Earth... So devoted that I was shocked as all hell when you lambasted me for not posting for the past couple of days lol!!!

I gotta tell ya I really appreciate the love but can't a brother breathe? HAHAHA I really want to thank you all for your dedication and so I'll say this is all a part of my plan... Get content up so you guys can read and then come back as I have more to write about. And thus, another blog tonight....

So tonight's blog is inspired by Beat Street. Anybody from Brooklyn in their early to late 20's and older should remember Beat Street. That spot on Fulton St in downtown Brooklyn that had everything on vinyl... That spot that all the artists would go to whenever their albums dropped... That spot that had all of the latest music for ridiculously cheap...

Yeah I miss Beat Street. More than that, I miss icies from the icy cart on the street. I miss quarter waters, in those plastic containers with the green caps.

<side note>Those containers have been deemed unsafe now. I wonder what that means for my health.</side note>

And riding on pegs on bikes in and out of Brooklyn streets. Oh oh oh... I can't forget Blimpies sandwiches. I miss those little Marino icies that came in the paper cups (not those plastic things they have now) that made ya hands sticky.

Ya know what else I miss??? Coney Island amusement park. Screw Six Flags. Coney Island was where it was at... And I miss Toys R Us in what used to be Albee Square Mall. OH OH OH... And, while I didn't personally shop there, I miss PC Richard & Son (remember the theme song... "You'll saaaaaavveeee Save Money Mooonnnneeeeyyyy... You'll saaaaaavveeee at PC RICHARDS LOL"). And Woolworth drug stores.

Yeah I'm getting a little home sick as you can see. As Dorothy said back in the Wizard of Oz, there's no place like home. No matter how dirty Brooklyn gets or how noisy it is at all hours of the day or how bad it smells when you cross the Verrazano bridge, there is just no place like home. And while I love the fact that I'm getting older, there's something that I'm leaving behind. That something... is home!

I love Brooklyn, but I can't be the person I believe that I was meant to be if I stayed home all of my life. And still, I miss it. So tonight's blog is in honor of Beat Street because Beat Street was one of those things that made me appreciate Brooklyn in my youth. And while it may not be there anymore, anytime I walk down Fulton Street across from what used to be Albee Square Mall, I'll remember what it was to be young and growing up in Brooklyn, NY.

Ok time to open it up. I want to hear from you guys. What are some of the things from your childhood that you love? That you miss? What about my NY people? Let me know if I missed anything or if you had other experiences that made you fall in love with Brooklyn all over again.

Until next time,

-C.

No comments:

Post a Comment